WCC Slogan interpretation ‘…transforming lives.
A. God expects us to be totally transformed.
- God expects that, when we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour, we will be radically changed (Romans 12:2)
- Be new in the attitude of your minds” (Eph 4:23).
- Put off your old self” and “put on the new self” (Eph 4:22,24; Col 3:9-10).
- Live by the Spirit” and not by the flesh (Gal 5:16; Rom 8:13).
- Become “instruments of righteousness” rather than “instruments of wickedness” (Rom 6:13).
- Be buried with him through baptism into death” in order that “we may live a new life” (Rom 6:4)
- Be born again” (John 3:3,5); born from above, of the spirit and not the flesh
B. Why do we need transformation?
- Become like God in personality Eph 5:24; Col 3:10; 1 Cor 2:16; Phil 2:5;
- Live for the things that are unseen: 2 Cor 4:18; Col 3:1-2; 2 Cor 3:18
- Live by the spirit “God’s Spirit lives in you” (1 Cor 3:16). It is because we have the Holy Spirit living in us that we are able to be transformed.
- Yield to God: Rom 6:13, 6:19, 6:16
C. How can we achieve this transformation?
- Believe: We must “believe and not doubt”; a double-minded person cannot receive anything from God
- Make a decision (choose): We must choose to be transformed, now choose life…” (Deut 30:19-20). God gives us that same choice today
- Stay in God’s word: (Mat 4:4): We need both the logos, and general word of God recorded in his Scriptures, and the rhema word specifically tailored to our personal situation and needs.
- Guard our thoughts: we need to guard carefully what goes into our mind. We need to think on those things that are true, noble, right, pure, etc. (Phil 4:8)
- Pray and keep asking: Mat. 7:7
- Perseverance: Jesus told his disciples “that they should always pray and not give up” (Luke 18:1; Heb. 12:1;Mat 11:12).
- Resist the enemy: We fight the enemy, not in our strength, but in God’s. (Eph 6:10; Luke 10:19)